Monday, September 24, 2007

she loves me

I have this on-again, off-again relationship with insomnia, which apparently leads to hyper-blogging. The good news is that if it's not too late, I can call California.

While looking for more insomnia information tonight, I came across a website called dailystrength.org that had an insomnia support group with 918 members. I can just imagine 918 people online typing "can't sleep, you?" "no, me neither." It's actually probably a pretty lively chat room, if in fact there is one. I didn't bother to check.

A few years ago, I quit smoking and joined QuitNet, which was a lot like that. It sent you daily affirmations and gave you a count of how much money you'd saved and how many hours you'd added onto your life. I logged into the chatrooms when I was fiending and they were pretty rowdy. 'Course then I picked up smoking again, though I still occasionally get "quit anniversary" emails from them, reminding me that if I had just stuck with it, I would now have been smoke-free for a few years now.

Anyhow, on daily strength, they've got probably several hundred online support groups. The biggest community I saw was for Depression, with 11,146 members. Next was Breakups and Divorce, with 6,739 members. A lot of obscure diseases only had 1 member (isn't that just a big fuck-you to someone who already feels estranged). Bedwetting had 60 members (that probably isn't a big bonding point, I'm betting that a Shame community would have the same amount).

Fructose Intolerance had 9 members.

No comments: